Tuesday 26 January 2010

Great Rivers?

I happened to catch part of a TV programme last night called Only Connect. BBC3 I think. It's a quiz show with two teams and the idea is to connect things, mostly words. Towards the end they have a part of the show where they take vowels out of words, and you have to work out the words as they should be. They help by bunching them together, so at least you have an idea which ball park you're likely to be in.

So when Great South American Rivers came up as a topic, I settled confidently back, certain of a 100% score, being, as it were, on home territory. Now I know it's meant to be a challenging programme, rather than just plumping for questions which will fox only dimwits who don't watch quizzes anyway.

I got two out of four. The rivers were Orinoco RNC, Colorado (CLRD), Maule (ML)and Aconcagua (CNCG)

What?? Great rivers?? You're 'avin' a laugh aren'tcha? Three of those "great rivers" are in Chile. As everyone knows, Chile is confined by the Andes on one side and the Pacific on the other. Long and thin. About a wide as a piece of string. All the rivers flow westward to the sea - so they're about as great as the piece of string is wide. The only thing great about them is that they rise in the Andes. That's like saying the Teign and the Dart are great rivers because they rise on Dartmoor.

A whole continent full of rivers - great rivers - and we get three Chilean becks.

In Argentina, most Welshmen would easily identify the CHBT in Patagonia (they don't bother with vowels much anyway). The PRN, PRGY, RGY are probably a bit too easy.

In Bolivia the BN's a bit more challenging, as is the PLCMY (world's longest tributary of a tributary).

Peru's CYL and MRNN take a bit of thinking about; MGDLN in Colombia is easy. Guyana "land of rivers" should surely have merited a mention for one of SSQB, BRBC or DMRR - all easy.

Now I can see why they eschewed MZN - a bit too obvious - but if they think Maule's reasonable, they why not slip in SLMS (which is what the Brazilians call the upper MZN). Brazil's brimming over - XNG, MDR, SFRNCSC, and if you want a really difficult one, the 4-syllable PQ would be the one to catch them out. Not a great river, but a lot greater than those Chilean melt-water run-offs.

And the CSQR in Venezuela, whilst not actually a river - more of a natural channel linking the basins of the Orinoco and the Negro - could hold its place as an interesting watercourse. If you don't mind the mosquitos and sand flies.

I could go on - or even suggest that the producers of Only Connect come to me if they need inspiration with a Latin American flavour. Mammals of the Mato Grosso? Suburbs of Rio?

On second thoughts, don't get me started.

2 comments:

David Bodycombe said...

Hi,

I take your point and maybe it wasn't our best set (they've been hanging in our files since series 1). The problem is that many rivers are not, in themselves, that well-known so I did try to find some rivers that were at least named after better-known areas of S. America.

One other thing - we're on BBC4, not BBC3! There's a gulf of different between the two!

Best wishes,

David
Only Connect Question Editor

Chris Parrott said...

Hello

Thanks for taking the trouble to post a reply. BBC4 - sorry.

I guess my main beef was that although CLRD was pretty easy to guess, I has no idea that there was a Colorado in South America let alone where it was. And hitherto I'd assumed Aconcagua was just a very high mountain. As for Maule, I'd just never heard of it. So, there I was, degree in Latin American studies, 7 years' teaching A-level geography, 35 years' travelling in Latin America...but I could only place the Orinoco. My son thought that was pretty pathetic...

Thanks again

CP